September 30, 2016 - Dubai hosted its second meeting of the West Asia Tennis Development Committee under the leadership of Her Excellency Sara Ahmad Baker, Vice President of the Asian Tennis Federation and Chairman of the West Asia Tennis Development Committee and the Secretary General of the UAE Tennis Federation. The meeting was attended by members of the committee: - Mr. Asso Adel – President of the Iraqi Tennis Federation
- Mr. Fouad Alroiei – Secretary General of the Bahrain Tennis Federation.
- Mr. Seddik Al Hashemi, Treasurer of the Omani Tennis Federation.
- Mr. Mohamed Nasser Ajaji - Former Secretary General of the Saudi Tennis Federation.
- Mr. Slah Bramly – The Technical Director of the UAE Tennis Federation.
The committee was delighted to have Mr. Amin Borghei - The West & Center Asia ITF Development Officer, join this meeting to be able to see the overall of tennis situation in the region.
Ms. Sara Baker emphasized the need for communication between members of the West Asian countries, especially in regard to the follow-up questionnaire and gathering information that will enable the Committee to work out a 4 years West Asia Development Strategy inline to the Olympic mandate 2017- 2020.
Emphasis was placed on the establishment of joint camps between the countries of West Asia to gain experience and increase the technical level of the West Asia junior elite.
Then attendees discussed the agenda of international activities for two seasons 2017 and 2018 by encouraging the WA National Associations/federations to intensify the activities of local, regional, Asian and international tournaments, especially to ensure that development will be reflected to:
- ATF Ranking under 14
- ITF World Junior Ranking Under 18 years.
- ATP Men’s and WTA Women’s Professional Rankings..
Attendees also discussed the importance of the participation into the:
- World Junior Tennis Cup qualification
- Junior Davis Cup & Fed Cup.
- Asia Oceania Men’s Davis Cup.
- Asia Oceania Women’s Fed Cup Qualifying Event for each category,
Regarding the Education Programs, all agreed to strengthen cooperation with the organization of the:
- ITF Coaching, and ITF officiating Education Program and courses.
- ITF Administrators courses.
In brief, all agreed on the proposals to West Asian Federations to cooperate and increase the number of tournaments of the ATF Under 14 Circuit as well as for the World Junior Ranking ITF Circuit under 18 years.
Ms. Sara Ahmad Baker ended the meeting with a positive note that ‘We shall make a major difference in the tennis development of the West Asia region.” She ended by thanking all attendees and the WA & CA ITF Development Officer Mr. Amir Borghei for his valuable contribution.
The meeting was held at the Rayhan Rotana Hotel -Al Ghurair Center, Dubai.